City of Anderson
The City of Anderson is named for Chief William Anderson, The settlers coming into Anderson referred to the village as ''Anderson Town.'' In 1844, the name was shortened by the Indiana legislature to ''Anderson.''
On March 31, 1887 natural gas was discovered in Anderson. In 1912, the natural gas ran out. Several factories left and the local economy slowed. The Remy Brothers were persuaded to stay in Anderson and encouraged other entrepreneurs to locate here. For decades, Delco Remy and Guide Lamp, later to become Fisher Guide, were the top two employers in the city.
Today, Anderson continues to thrive on its manufacturing heritage while at the same time diversifying its economic base by actively recruiting new companies in various industries.
It has several primary/secondary schools as well as 2 universities and 2 colleges.
Downtown Anderson has experienced an abundance of activity ranging from dining, entertainment, and festivals to millions of dollars in construction.
The Anderson Historical and Cultural Preservation Commission was established in the early 1980s to preserve, promote, and develop the historical and cultural resources of Anderson.
Anderson Parks and Recreation boasts an array of facilities with something for everyone. Whether you enjoy a quiet stroll in an unspoiled natural area or prefer the adventure of a skate park, Anderson offers something for you. Park land has been set aside for sports, recreation, leisure, and reflection.
The Anderson Municipal Airport (AID) is owned and operated by the City of Anderson.
Whom to Contact
- Sheila AshleyCity ClerkPhone: (765) 648-6075
- Stephon BlackwellPark SuperintendentPhone: (765) 648-6000
- Mayor Thomas BroderickMayorPO Box 2100Anderson, IN 46018Phone: (765) 648-6000
- Frank BurrowsBuilding ManagerPhone: (765) 648-6000
- Jason ChildersLegal DepartmentPhone: (765) 648-6000
- John ConnellCity GaragePhone: (765) 648-6466
- John CoonAirport ManagerPhone: (765) 648-6000
- Darla CouchWebmaster-Information Services Dept.Phone: (765) 648-5947
- Larry CrenshawPolice ChiefPhone: (765) 648-6700
- Bruce DunhamBoard of Public SafetyPhone: (765) 648-6185
- Brent HollandAssistant Fire ChiefPhone: (765) 648-6000
- Wayne HuffmanHuman Resource DirectorPhone: (765) 648-6141
- Todd JordanAssistant Fire ChiefPhone: (765) 648-6000
- Nara ManorWater Pollution Control SuperintendentPhone: (765) 648-6560
- Jerry MillerAssistant Police ChiefPhone: (765) 648-6000
- Frank OwensBuilding CommissionerPhone: (765) 648-6055
- Sam PelligrinoTransportation DirectorPhone: (765) 648-6025
- Tony PochardLight & Power SuperintendentPhone: (765) 648-6000
- James RhodesAssistant Police ChiefPhone: (765) 648-6000
- Philip RogersFire ChiefPhone: (765) 648-6600
- Mike SpyersEngineeringPhone: (765) 648-6118
- Pam StaffordInformation Services ManagerPhone: (765) 648-6000
- Susie StapletonUtility Office ManagerPhone: (765) 648-6187
- Kimberly TownsendAnderson , IN 46017Phone: (765) 646-9213
- Charlee TurnerExecutive Administrator/Office ManagerPhone: (765) 648-6009
- Tonya TurnleyProgram ManagerPhone: (765) 648-6000
- Alicia VaughnConsultantPhone: (765) 648-6000
- Sharon WaltersPurchasingPhone: (765) 648-6182
- Douglas WhithamCity ControllerPO Box 2100Anderson, IN 46018Phone: (765) 648-6027